The Akers Funeral Chapel was originally the Memorial Presbyterian Church until membership dwindled and the loan for the church reverted back to First National Bank of Saxton. In 1924 the bank sold the building to the School District of Saxton Borough. It was utilized by the school district as a center for learning until the new Saxton-Liberty School was built in 1935. Mr. Robert E. Huff, a funeral director, purchased the building in November of 1937 and established a funeral chapel. He sustained the funeral home until it was then purchased by Albert N. Masood in April 1954. Mr. Masood continued to operate the funeral home at this site until his retirement in 1987, at which time he sold the business to D. Ronald Long. Mr. Long operated the business until his retirement in June of 2004. G. Shaun Akers then purchased the business and it continues to serve the community today as Akers Funeral Chapel.
AKERS FUNERAL HOME, INC.
G. Shaun Akers purchased the property from Donald and Ethel Ritchey in January of 2007 at time which he decided to erect a funeral home to serve the Artemas, Breezewood, Clearville, Chaneysville, Crystal Spring, Everett, Hopewell and Snake Spring areas. The funeral home is a new facility that is handicapped accessible, convenient parking, large chapel and filled with friendly and helpful staff. The funeral home was established in October 2008.